Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Help; post 1

So! I am on page 220, and I literally can't put it down. I mean, I've obviously had to, for school and stuff, but, you know, it's an amazing book!! I think that the first chapter was the hardest to get into because of the language. It kind of takes a while to get used to how Aibileen speaks, but after you do, she has some of the most powerful things to say.
After about the first chapter I knew I was going to be hooked.
I am at the part right after Eugenia left her satchel at the meeting and Hilly found it and took it home. When Eugenia realized that all of the interviews were in that satchel and she was just a nervous wreck, I was too. One of my favorite parts so far was in one of Minny's chapters. It was when she couldn't find Celia and so she just went on to clean the house, when she hears this voice asking her who she was. I was so excited and scared to find out what happened next because it would move the story forward, but also because it was Celia's husband, who she didn't want Minny to be revealed to. (But, honestly? She went from cooking grits and potatoes to serving steak and wonderful food? Did she think he was stupid? I dunno...It was just a good moment.) I also liked later on in that same chapter how the husband revealed to Minny that of course he knew. I liked how he wasn't mad at her for trying to get better, and how he was going to let her tell him when she was ready to. I thought that was really sweet of him.
So overall I think that this is a fantastic book and Katherine Stockett did and amazing job of writing it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment